Antifreeze Shooters Anyone?

Australian brain-damaged after Lombok cocktail

AFP
An Australian nurse suffered brain damage and kidney failure after
drinking a cocktail called jungle juice on the Indonesian holiday island of
Lombok, a report said on Wednesday.

Jamie Johnston, 25, was flown to the Royal Darwin Hospital from Bali in a coma after ordering a jug of arak — a rice wine popular throughout Southeast Asia — mixed with fruit juice to share with her mother.

The Sydney Morning Herald said the batch was contaminated with methanol, a toxic chemical often used as an anti-freeze or in paint, which was linked to the deaths of four foreign tourists in 2009 in Bali.

Johnston’s mother Lyn, who was not affected, told the newspaper that test results had shown her daughter suffered methanol poisoning after drinking the cocktail on September 20 at the Happy Cafe restaurant.

She fell unconscious and is unable to move or talk properly after suffering
brain damage and renal failure.

“We were on our way home when she collapsed. It was a dreadful end,” the mother said.

“It has all been unbelievably traumatic and horrible. People need to be warned about this. Potentially she could have been killed. We could have both been killed.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s